Before the High School
The property at the corner of the Kirkgate and Kirk Brae, now occupied by the Liberton Inn, was the original Liberton School and School Masters House, reputed to be the dwelling place of Reuben Butler, the school master of Liberton who figured as a sweetheart of Jeanie Deans the heroine of Scot’s Heart of Midlothian. The property was sold by the school board in 1889 when the new school was built in Mount Vernon Road. This school is now a nursery
A report on the annual examination of the pupils of the old school in 1781 is incredibly interesting. On the 14th August, the parish school of Liberton was examined by the minister, in presence of a great many respectable gentleman in the neighbourhood, upon the Greek, Latin, French and English languages, and likewise upon the English Grammer, arithmetic, book keeping and te principles of the Christian religion, when the children in their different classes acquitted themselves very much to the satisfaction of all present, and discovered such proficiency as did much honour to the industry and abilities of Mr Ferguson, the master of the school, and render him worthy of the greatest encouragement. The school master has a good accommodation for boarder and room for more than he has at present. His terms are only œ14 a year, education included.
Liberton High School
The school was officially opened by Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent on Thursday 14th May 1959 at 11.15. During her tour of the school, the Duchess of Kent saw girls “using the latest electric irons to prepare traycloths in the laundry class” and a commemorative Stained Glass window created by William Gibson
Hailed as a £350,000 modernistic secondary school designed to accommodate one thousand pupils, Liberton Secondary school was seen as a very important number one in Edinburgh’s education programme- the first of a ring of secondaries to be built in the outskirts of the city serving the new housing areas of Edinburgh. It was the first purpose- built, non denominational comprehensive secondary school for 12 – 18 year olds in Edinburgh.
As the school roll increased, additional classrooms were needed to meet the demand for places. Inch Secondary School became the annexe for S1 and S2 pupils in 1960 and an extension to the school was built to provide 12 new classrooms. This was ready to accommodate pupils in August 1962. In the early 70’s temporary units for 10 classes were also provided.
In 1968 The senior boys football team won Scottish Secondary Shield at Hampden park
John Jack, Liberton first Headmaster retires and Henry Philip becomes Liberton’s second Headteacher
On 28th May 1969 Her majesty the Queen visited the school. Every department provided impressive demonstrations and displays. On eof the most spectacular displays was the newly built Hovercraft in the Technical Department. Pupils were somewhat astonished to see the Naval Equerry down on his hands and knees to make sure that the “Skirt was properly sealed”
1985 Henry Philip retires and Joe Vettese becomes Head
Refurbishment starts – Upgrading of the PE accommodation began in 1986
Phase 2 of the refurbishment – building a new boilerhouse.(April 1987)
Phase 3a The withdrawal from the Annex in Walter Scott Avenue.
Phase 3b Extension transformed into a new Science suite which began during August 1989.New suited for Home Economics. Computing and Business Education Departments were created in the spaces left behind.
August 1992 phases 3c began during tis phase teaching areas in English, Social Subjects, Maths and Modern Languages were rationalised, the ground floor of the new science block was enclosed and the Music department refurbished.
November 1995 Phase 3d provided a new entrance area, admix area, new library/resource centre and students’ social area at the heart of the school. Art Department and CDT ware also then upgraded.
1995 Joe Vettese retires and Gwen Kinghorn becomes Liberton High Schools fourth Headteacher.
Official opening ceremony to mark the end of the refurbishment March 1997