19 February 2021
Dear Parents and Carers
I hope that everyone in our community is safe and well in these very challenging times. You will be aware from the news that some learners in the Senior Phase (S4-S6) will be returning to school from Monday 22 February 2021 to engage in learning in practical subjects that cannot be completed at home. In planning for this we have been guided by the principles detailed below;
· Our plans support learning and teaching in subjects with highest levels of critical practical work that require in-school facilities and cannot be undertaken remotely
· To ensure learners have secure foundation and course coverage prior to formal assessment taking place in the later stages of the 2020/21 academic session
· To ensure that a maximum of 5-8% of the school roll on the premises for these purposes
· To minimise disruption to remote learning for all, across BGE and Senior Phase, to protect continuity of learning and teaching
· To maintain our current in school provision for vulnerable children and the children of key workers
The learners returning to school for learning in practical subjects will be invited to do so through interaction with their teacher through Teams. In all cases this attendance will be in half day blocks, registers will be taken, and families contacted in cases of non-attendance.
To ensure that this limited return to school is safe for everyone there will be strengthened Covid-19 mitigations and routines given increased transmission risk associated with new variant. This will include 2m physical distancing for everyone in the building as well as the established hygiene measures already in place.
All staff and Senior Phase pupils who will be physically in our building are strongly encouraged to take part in the COVID-19 asymptomatic testing programme. This is being put in place as part of the package of COVID-19 risk reduction mitigations in schools across Scotland. The testing programme will identify asymptomatic individuals in school environments at the earliest possible opportunity and ask them and their close contacts to self-isolate, thus minimising the likelihood of them passing on the virus.
Detailed information on the distribution of these tests and instructions for their use will be communicated directly to the families of pupils who are returning for practical learning or who are currently attending our school Hub.
If you have any questions relating to the contents of this letter, please do not hesitate to get in touch via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.